The director is responsible for leading the day-to-day operations , managing the gallery team, coordinating sales, operations and communications and maintaining links with the gallery artists.
A dynamic individual with strong leadership skills, to be involved in all of the above tasks. Ability to delegate, and work within a close-knit team. Exceptional communication skills as well as excellent organizational skills required.
GALLERY DIRECTOR JOB DUTIES
As a Gallery Director, you can expect your duties to include the following:
• Responsible for building and maintaining relationships with collectors and artists, keep up to date with the latest trends within the art market.
• Coordinate the build up of exhibition openings, participation in art fairs and other gallery events.
• Responsible for working closely with the gallery manager to document all artworks entering and leaving the gallery.
• Handle the marketing of the gallery in order to promote and contact press for the publicity of events, as well as the lead of communication to public and buyers.
• Often be required to attend client meetings and visits to promote your gallery.
KEY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS OF A GALLERY DIRECTOR
The following skills will be beneficial to a candidate looking to apply for this role:
• An excellent understanding of the market is essential.
• Minimum 3 years previous experience working within a gallery space or a similar role is essential.
• Curatorial experience is preferred.
• Previous managerial and director experience is required.
• A well established client base is beneficial for this role.
• Excellent communication skills are essential for attending client visits, promoting your gallery, and managing the gallery team.
• Strong organisational skills.
• Possessing a teamwork mentality is important.
• Language skills: Dutch & English are mandatory, French preferred.
• Excellent ability to work with tight deadlines.
• Analytical skills: thinking critically, logically and constructively.
• Ability and willingness to travel frequently.
• Willing to work during the weekends (for gallery openings, art trips and art fairs).
• Experience in applying for Art Fairs.
• EU Drivers License.
• A progressive view on contemporary society is beneficial.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are always looking for interns, please send your motivation to email@example.com